- A new code of conduct in Oxford requires buskers to smile or face a penalty of up to £1,000!
- The code of conduct stipulates that Oxford buskers are to “smile, enjoy yourselves and entertain others”.
- City council has implemented the change to tackle anti-social behavior, with buskers reportedly identified as culprits!
- Currently, buskers can get a free licence to play in Oxford provided the music is not audible from 50 metres. Those who breach the code are fined £100, which can be increased to £1,000 by a court.
- Buskers are reportedly not happy, arguing that the rule creates an atmosphere of fear and control. A demonstration was held recently where buskers played ‘non-compliant’ music and scowled at passers-by.
- Does the new code of conduct criminalise the act of not smiling?
Leave a Reply