- Are fish boring, and essentially identical?
- Not according to research carried out by Exeter University, which found that fish are individuals with unique character traits and complex personalities.
- In the test, the ‘coping styles’ of 105 Trinidadian Guppies were tested by placing them in an unfamiliar tank, or subjecting them to the terrors of ornamental predatory fish and birds, such as a Heron nicknamed Grim.
- The results indicated that some guppies were natural cowards, and some were brave.
- Importantly, the tendency for each fish to hide, escape or explore was proven in repeated tests!
- Lead author on the study, Dr Tom Houslay, says the next step is to look at the genetics underlying the personality traits to determine if cowardice and bravery are passed on from guppy to guppy.
- Is your fish brave, or cowardly?