- Seattle residents have started using ‘PooPrints’ testing kits, which employ DNA testing to identify the source of dog droppings.
- PooPrints testing kits are manufactured by BioPet Vet Lab, which is a company based in Knoxville, Tennessee.
- It’s reported that in the past 5 years, PooPrints kits have been sold in over 1,000 places and have been especially popular in Miami, Dallas and Los Angeles.
- The Seattle Times reports that BioPet Vet Labs has begun focusing its efforts in Seattle given that it has 50% more dogs than children!
- In a complex in Everett, Seattle, tenants have been paying a one-time fee of US$29.95 for the DNA testing. Property manager Erin Atkinson says that after some initial fines, people are now cleaning up after their dogs. Erin says that prior to the introduction of PooPrints testing kits, poop could be found in elevators and hallways.
- PooPrints says its test is 99.9% accurate for nabbing the correct dog.