- Female scientists have hit back at comments made by British scientist Sir Tim Hunt that they are “trouble” in labs by posting tongue-in-cheek photos of themselves using the hashtag #distractinglysexy.
- Hunt caused a stir when he told the World Conference of Science Journalists in South Korea that his “trouble” with girls is that three things happen when they are in the lab: you fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticise them they cry…”.
- Hunt was awarded with the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine in 2001.
- In statements made since the incident, Hunt said he intended to be funny, but realises it was a stupid thing to do in the presence of so many journalists.
- Hunt has since resigned from his position as honorary professor with the UCL Faculty of Life Sciences.
- The photos are worth a look – check out the hashtag #distractinglysexy.
Leave a Reply