- Italian doctor Sergio Canavero says he will use a conference in June to announce a project to perform the world’s first human head transplant by 2017!
- In a recent paper prepared by Dr Canavero, he states that head transplants have been successfully carried out on animals since 1970.
- Dr Canavero, who is from the Turin Advanced Neromodulation Group, estimates that the surgery could cost approximately $13 million!!
- Dr Canavero first proposed the idea of a head transplant in 2013, but says only now does the technology exist to overcome the greatest hurdle of reconnecting the spinal cords of the donor and the recipient. He adds that the recipient would be need to kept in a coma for a weeks following to surgery to facilitate healing.
- It’s stated that this operation would assist those whose bodies were too diseases or injured to keep their head alive.
- However, some members of the medical professional are not convinced, with the main argument being that it is not yet known how to ‘rewirl’ the spinal cord, and that medicine is nowhere near knowing how to use stem cells to make this happen.
- I guess we’ll have to watch this space!!!
Leave a Reply