- A (very much alive) Romanian man who learned of his ‘death’ in 2003 has failed to convince a court to overturn his death certificate!
- Constantin Reliu moved to Turkey for work in 1992, but a death certificate was issued for his death in 2003 after his estranged wife assumed he died in an earthquake.
- In January, Reliu was deported from Turkey and sent to Romania where he learned of his death. In fact, before Turkish authorities could let Reliu back in the country (due to his status as a dead man) they had to measure the distance between his eyes to compare it to his passport photo!
- Reliu asked a court to overturn his death certificate, but he failed because the appeal was lodged too late.
- Reliu says he can’t get work, and is a ‘living ghost’.