- Prisoners at a British jail wrote to a local newspaper to complain that the weekly ‘hard’ Sudoku puzzle was in fact IMPOSSIBLE to complete.
- The unfinished puzzle was attached to the letter addressed to Exeter Express and Echo, which was signed by inmates Michael Blatchford and Shane Smith on behalf of 84 other inmates at Exeter Prison.
- In the letter, the inmates conveyed their disappointment, noting that they’re only allowed access to Thursday’s edition of the newspaper, so can’t check the answers published on Monday and “verify the truth”.
- As it turns out, the puzzle WAS impossible to finish – but only because the inmates had made several key mistakes in the middle section.
- In 2011, Exeter Prison made headlines when staff thwarted a ‘Shawshank Redemption’ style escape when prisoners attempted to tunnel out and cover their tracks with paper mache bricks made in the arts and crafts department.