- A mountain biker in New Mexico was impaled in the neck by a 2cm-wide tree branch, but still managed to drive 20 miles to a hospital.
- It’s reported that the man was impaled by the branch when he fell off his bike.
- CT scans showed that the branch extended 1.6cm into the biker’s neck.
- According to Dr Lev Deriy, the branch did not cause serious damage to his nerves, airway or major blood vessel.
- Dr Deriy added that the biker was lucky to escape without serious injury given that the neck “contains a lot of very important, vital structures”.
- Dr Deriy commended the man for not attempting to remove the branch, which he says could have caused additional injury or increased bleeding.
- According to the New England Journal of Medicine, surgeons removed the branch and closed the wound.