- Marc Newson’s Lockheed Lounge has sold at a London auction for $US3.7m, breaking the record for the price paid for a piece by a living designer.
- The lounge was part of a set of 15 lounges created by Marc in 1990, many of which have set auction sales records over the years.
- The Lockheed Lounge is made of aluminium and fibreglass and “not really meant to be comfortable”, according to Marc.
- The chair was famously used in the video clip for Madonna’s track ‘rain’ in 1993.
- The world-famous Australian industrial designer is in constant demand, having recently been hired by Apple, where he has created things such as Special Edition Apple EarPods and a Red Mac Pro.
- Over the years, Marc Newson has brought to life Japanese swords, luxury cars and a concept jetpack!