- A man in China brought home a puppy, but later realised it was actually an Asian Black Bear when it grew. Substantially.
- It’s reported that ‘Yang’, from China’s Yunnan province found the ‘dog-like animal’ in 2015 while foraging for mushrooms in the mountains near his home.
- Yang figured something was wrong when the puppy grew…into a bear that weighed 176 pounds (80kg)!
- A neighbour alerted authorities, who then arrived at Yang’s home to take the bear to animal welfare.
- As bears are a second-level protected species in China, anyone found keeping a bear without approval can be fined up to 3,000 yuan (US$475).
- Yang was not fined as the bear was in good health, and he co-operated with authorities.