- An Italian postman has been arrested after 573kg (1,100 pounds) of undelivered mail was found stashed in the garage of his home in Vicenza.
- It’s reported that workers from a recycling plant found the mail stored in plastic containers, with some of the mail dating back to 2010!
- The mail included leaflets from 2010 regional elections, tax forms and utility bills.
- Police were then called to the home of the 56-year-old man to make the arrest.
- It’s been described as the biggest ever seizure of undelivered mail in Italy.
- According to Rai, the postal service in the northern city of Vicenza will deliver the mail to the intended recipients.
- In Italy, the “violation, misappropriation or destruction” of mail is a criminal offence punishable by up to 1 year in prison.
- In the meantime, the bad postie has been suspended by the postal service.