- Today is International Women’s Day. It’s a global celebration of women, held in more than 100 countries across the world!
- To me, International Women’s Day should be every day, but that’s not the point. There are clear inequities faced by women, such as denial of education (according to global education charity One Girl, more than 60 million girls around the world are denied an education), the gender pay gap (a 17.3% difference in Australia, for example) and damning statistics in relation to domestic violence (in Australia 77% of victims over the age of 15 are women).
- So today is about standing in unison to declare our support, raise awareness about these matters, talk about solutions, and celebrate the women who have inspired us.
- Let’s extend the reach of this discussion. Gents, talk about the women who have inspired you. There are a lot of young people who follow this account. Kids, speak to the women in your life.
- Feel free to share a story about an inspirational woman in your life in the comments below.
- I’ll start things off. I’ll cheat, my mum and wife get a special mention. My mum had me very young (17) and sacrificed her education and freedom to raise and educate me. With her uncompromising work ethic, unfailing humility and compassion, my wife inspires me and gives me strength to be a better man every day and to know better and to do better.