- In events reminiscent of the movie ‘Footloose’, a Valentine’s Day dance in Henryetta, Oklahoma has been scrapped due to a little known city ordinance!
- It’s reported that the dance was scheduled to be held at a venue that is 300 feet from the Henryetta Church of Christ, but there is a law that prohibits dancing within 500 feet of a church!
- According to Mayor Jennifer Clason, the law has ‘never been enforced’ in her lifetime, and nobody has ever looked to change it.
- Sadly, for the city of 6,000 people, organisers did not want attendees to break the law, so the dance was cancelled.
- City Council will reconsider the law at its next meeting on 22 February. ➡️But will Rent McCormack save the day?