- The wreck of the luxury liner Costa Concordia has been refloated in one of the largest salvage operations in history.
- The ship was refloated by pumping air into 30 large metal boxes attached to its hull. It will soon be towed to Genoa for scrapping.
- The Costa Concordia ran aground near the island of Giglio nearly 2 and a half years ago.
- The ship’s captain Francesco Schettino is on trial for manslaughter, causing a shipwreck, and abandoning the vessel before all passengers had evacuated.
- It has been estimated that damage caused to Giglio, including breaking up of the vessel is approx 1.5 billion Euros.