- A new virus affecting Australian computers is using the the theme and logo from Breaking Bad fictional restaurant Los Pollos Hermanos to carry out ‘ransomware’ attacks.
- Those who are infected with the virus, dubbed Trojan. Cryptlocker. S, are greeted with a ‘Los Pollos Hermanos’ screen in which they’re advised that their files (photos, videos and documents etc) have been encrypted.
- In order to have their files decrypted, users are directed to another screen which instructs them on how to pay the $450 ‘ransom’ through Bitcoin.
- ‘Ransomware’ attacks involve hackers holding data and sometimes operating systems to ransom in exchange for payment, and are becoming increasingly common.
- Symantec has advised that the virus is activated by the execution of a ‘PENALTY. VBS’ file which arrives in a malicious zip archive.
- Symantec also advises that Mac users need not worry as the Trojan is directed at Windows users.
- Los Pollos Hermanos is a fictional fast food chain that appears regularly in Breaking Bad.
Leave a Reply