- This week marks the 80th anniversary of the beer can, having first been used by the Krueger Brewing Company on 24 January 1935 in Richmond Virginia.
- A further 36 breweries in the US went on to can beer that year, as well as the Felinfoel Brewery in Wales, which was the first brewery outside of the USA to use the beer can.
- At the time, the highest alcohol content was 3.2%.
- The ring pull was introduced to cans in 1965.
- Today thanks to the rising craft beer industry, canned beer is making a resurgence. It’s reported that craft beer can sales rose by 89% last year whereas bottles only rose by 9%.