- Baltimore mom Toya Graham has been called “mom of the year” after she dragged her child away from the Baltimore riots and reprimanded him publicly.
- The incident was captured on video by several news organisations and bystanders, which shows Toya arrive at the scene, yell at and hit her son before grabbing him by the scruff of the neck and removing him from the protesters.
- When asked to comment, Toya said she didn’t want her son to be another Freddie Gray, but that throwing rocks at police was not justice. Toya reportedly saw her son on TV throwing rocks at police during the riots, which prompted her action.
- While many have supported Toya’s no nonsense approach to parenting, others note she used violence to stop violence.
- Baltimore Police have urged parents to take their children home, as they have been active in the riots.
- The riots are in relation to Freddy Gray, who died from spinal injuries sustained while in police custody and is the latest incident of excessive force allegedly used by police on black men.