- The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple has put several hundred of its employees to work on a project code-named ‘Titan’ to develop its own electric car.
- Although the project could take years to produce something to market, early reports are that the vehicle looks like a minivan.
- Even if the project was not to proceed, technologies developed during the project would be useful elsewhere, such as advanced batteries and in-car-electronics.
- Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook reportedly green-lighted the project 1 year ago.
- The sale of electric cars is rapidly growing, with almost 120,000 sold in the USA last year by companies such as Tesla, Toyota and General Motors.
- It’s reported that Apple tried to poach engineers from Tesla, offering generous bonus and pay-rises.
- Apple is also currently in the process of developing a ‘driverless car’.
Leave a Reply