- A UK man told his girlfriend he had been kidnapped, so he could stay out partying longer.
- The ‘kidnapper’ even spoke to, and texted, the girlfriend saying the man would be released if a small debt was paid.
- More than a dozen police members searched for the man using CCTV footage and mobile phone data, even arresting someone on suspicion of the crime.
- The arrested man eventually confessed, saying it was a ruse to allow his friend to stay out longer.
- The party animal was lucky not to be arrested, with police saying they preferred not to waste more public money dragging it through the courts.