- Turkish president Tayyip Erdogan says he’ll resign if the opposition leader can find a single golden toilet seat in his 1,150-room palace in Ankara.
- Erdogan has been repeatedly attacked by Kemal Kilicdaroglu, leader of the Republican People’s Party, for having an extravagant lifestyle and making lavish purchases of expensive cars, planes and golden toilet seats.
- In response to the claims, Erdogan challenged Kilicdaroglu to search his palace and has vowed to resign from the presidency if a golden toilet seat is found.
- The palace, which is dubbed Ak Saray, or White Palace, was reportedly built for £400m and covers an area of 200,000 square metres (approximately 30 times the size of the White House).
- Erdogan has defended the palace, saying it is a “work of art” representative of a fast-developing Turkey. Kilicdaroglu’s comments were made in speeches leading up to Parliamentary elections on 7 June 2015.
Leave a Reply