- Aussie surf champ Mick Fanning was attacked by a shark at the final heat of a world tour event at Jeffreys Bay in South Africa, but escaped unhurt after he PUNCHED the shark in the back.
- Mick was reportedly knocked off his board as he battled with the shark, while the world watched live on TV.
- Despite the danger, friend and rival Julian Wilson paddled to Mick to help, saying he feared the worst when he saw Mick go under a wave.
- The event was cancelled, with both men agreeing to take 2nd place.
- Afterwards, Mick said it was the scariest thing he’s ever been through and uploaded a photo of a hug he shared with Julian to his Instagram account, adding “so thankful to be able to have this hug with Julian Wilson this man came to my aid like a warrior”.
- 7-time World Champ Layne Beachley says she never saw a shark in her decades in the water.
- It’s believed this is the first time a shark attack has been caught on camera during a competition.