- Research carried out by the University of Queensland revealed that heavy metal music regulates sadness, calms listeners and enhances positive emotions!
- According to Leah Sharman from the university’s School of Psychology, levels of hostility, irritability, stress found in participants decreased after listening to extreme music (such as heavy metal, punk etc.).
- In the study, 39 regular listeners of extreme music (aged between 18 and 34) spent 16 minutes in “anger induction”, where they described events in their life that angered them, then spent 10 minutes listening to music of their choice or 10 minutes of silence.
- Participants had their heart rates monitored throughout these stages, with data from the silence and music groups then used for comparative analysis.
- Responses indicated that people who chose “extreme music” appeared to use their choice of music to “enhance their happiness” and “immerse themselves in feelings of love”.
- Bam Margera wrote a blog post on the study, encouraging readers to headbang for positive inspiration.
- The study was published in Frontiers in Human Neuroscience.
June 26, 2015 at 2:10 pm