- Research shows that we really are drunk in love given the striking similarities between the effects of alcohol and the “love hormone” Oxytocin.
- Oxytocin is a hormone produced in the part of the brain called the hypothalamus and is often credited with helping us to fall in love, bond and form friendships.
- The study was performed by scientists at the University of Birmingham, who administered an Oxytocin spray to determine whether its effects were similar to those of alcohol.
- The research team found that alcohol and Oxytocin cause common actions even though they target different receptors within the brain.
- In addition to making people feel happy, Oxytocin removes social inhibitors such as fear and anxiety in the same way that alcohol does.
- However, the research also revealed that Oxytocin can cause people to become more aggressive, jealous and boastful.
Leave a Reply