- Astronomers are looking closely at a star 94 light years from Earth after a very strong signal was received by a Russian telescope!
- While experts say it’s unlikely to come from aliens, they need to confirm whether it’s just a ‘transient phenomenon’.
- According to Douglas Vakoch, president of METI International (which searches for life beyond Earth), if the signal is artificial, it comes from a civilisation with capabilities beyond humankind.
- Why is this important?
- Well, scientists believe that in the next few years life could be found on Proxima b, the newly-discovered planet orbiting Proxima Centauri, a star just 4.27 light years from Earth.
- The planet was discovered last week by a team from Queen Mary, University of London, who say the planet’s proximity to its star provides it with just enough sunlight for Earth-like temperatures and liquid water to sustain life.
- If Proxima b is habitable, it might be a great place to move when the sun can lo longer sustain life on Earth, given that the lifespan of Proxima Centauri is trillions of years longer than the sun.
- Watch this space.
Leave a Reply