- Pole dancing has been officially recognised as a sport by the Association of International Sports Federations which means it’s one step closer to becoming an Olympic sport.
- The recognition is the product of an 11-year campaign by the International Pole Sports Federation.
- President Katie Coates told Sky News that the decision is great for the sport, the athletes and the community, and that the sport would like to compete at the Olympics in its own right, rather than be judged as part of gymnastics.
- The next step is to become compliant with World Anti-Doping Agency rules.
- According to Pole Sports UK, there has been an 82% increase in male participation in the sport.