- Ireland has become the first country in the world to approve gay marriage by popular vote with 62% voting ‘yes’.
- The voter turnout was 60%, which was higher than expected.
- In a country where the majority of its people identify themselves as Catholic, the legalisation of gay marriage represents a significant shift in the views of its people. In fact, homosexuality was banned up until 1993!
- All of Ireland’s major political parties supported the amendment of the constitutional definition of marriage.
- Ireland will be the 19th country in the world to legalise gay marriage and the 14th in Europe.
Leave a Reply