- A mysterious wooden box found in the attic of a Florida home is said to contain a Tampa treasure map, some coins and a human hand!
- It’s reported that Mike Lopez’s sister was cleaning out their grandparents’ attic when she discovered the box, which also contained a wedding photo of their grandparents.
- Mike says the map contains the name ‘Gaspar’ and believes it is linked to a late 18th century/early 19th century Florida pirate José Gaspar, who was also known as Gasparilla.
- Although there is an annual festival in his name, there is no evidence Gasparilla was real and some believe he was a myth created by railroad advertising in the late 1800s.
- Rodney Kite-Powell, curator of the Tampa Bay History Center says it’s definitely a human hand, but that the treasure map appears to be a 1920s blueprint and the coins look too thin to be very old, or Spanish treasure.
- …But who knows?
Leave a Reply