- Thailand police say a doctor removed a 10 million baht (AU$392,000) 6-carat diamond from the large intestine of a woman who is accused of stealing it from a jewellery fair.
- It’s believed that the woman stole the diamond by asking to inspect it, then swallowing it after she swapped it with a fake gemstone.
- The woman, identified as Jiang Xulian, and a man were arrested at Bangkok’s Suvaarnabhumi Airport trying to leave Thailand.
- Although the duo denied involvement, police say Jiang confessed when an X-ray revealed the diamond lodged inside her.
- According to Police Col. Mana Tienmaungpak, the doctor used a colonoscope and the medical equivalent of pliers to remove the diamond when laxatives failed to get it out.
- It’s reported that Jiang agreed to the procedure (which took 12 minutes) after being told she risked injury, and is now recovering in hospital.
- Police say the duo face up to 3 years in prison, if convicted.
Leave a Reply