- The Vatican faced embarrassment yesterday after 9 lb of cocaine was found in a car bearing plates associated with the Holy See.
- The car belongs to retired Argentinian cardinal Jorge Maria Mejia, who entrusted it to 2 Italian men to arrange for a routine service.
- Instead, the men drove to Spain to collect the drugs and then drove them into to France, where the car was stopped.
- The men reportedly believed the diplomatic plates would negate any suspicion.
- A spokesperson for Vatican City confirmed that the Cardinal had nothing to do with this, and that investigations should continue as normal. The Italian men are to face a French magistrate on charges of drug trafficking.