- According to Mashable – selfies have caused more deaths than sharks this year!
- It’s reported that in 2015, there have been 12 selfie-related deaths compared to 8 shark-related deaths.
- The alarming fact was highlighted by the recent death of a Japanese tourist who died of a heart attack when he fell down a staircase while trying to take a selfie at the Taj Mahal.
- Other deaths have been caused by people falling off cliffs, being hit by trains and even shooting themselves while posing with guns.
- George Burgess, director of the International Shark Attack File at the Florida Museum of Natural History says the shark-related deaths may in fact only be 6, given that there is some question over whether one the other deaths were provoked (the diver was carrying a bag of scallops) or even caused by sharks at all (a body was recovered with shark wounds, although it is not known when they were inflicted).
- It seems the Russian Interior Ministry was not far off the mark when they launched an information campaign to teach people how to take safe selfies.