- Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy has been released from custody stemming from an investigation into allegations made against him that he sought insider information from a judge about an inquiry into illegal campaign funding received in 2007 .
- The crime of ‘influence-peddling’ can be punishable by up to 10 years’ prison.
- This is the first time a former French head of state has been held in police custody.
- Mr Sarkozy has stated he believes there is a vendetta being run against him by the government ‘left’.
- Mr Sarkozy is looking to challenge for the presidency in 2017.
Leave a Reply