- The Mayor of Belmar New Jersey Matt Doherty blocked incoming traffic from Route 35 after the town “reached its capacity”.
- It’s reported that Doherty spoke with the police department, then decided to close the town to visitors for public safety reasons.
- Doherty said the town became jammed with tourists after a “perfect storm of good things”, such as the 29th New Jersey Seafood Festival.
- The beach town is approximately 1.6 square miles, with a population of approximately 6,000 people – which is said to swell to more than 60,000 in the summer.
- Full-time residents were able to circumvent the road closures by showing their driver’s licence.