- A group of New York prison inmates have defeated the Harvard Debate Team, who are the current national debate champions!
- The debate took place at the maximum security Eastern New York Correctional Facility.
- A panel of neutral judges awarded the debate to the inmates, who were tasked with arguing that public schools should be able to turn away the children of people who entered the US illegally.
- In a post on its Facebook account, Harvard called the inmates phenomenally intelligent and said there are few teams they are prouder of having lost a debate to.
- It’s reported that 15% of inmates at the Facility take courses at the nearby Bard College, with many continuing studies at Columbia and Yale.
- The debate club was established to help inmates articulate what they had learned.
Leave a Reply