- The British embassy in Jordan has appointed an ex-rescue cat as its Chief Mouser, with the black and white tom possessing general mousing and Twitter duties
- Lawrence of Abdoun was rescued from an animal shelter last month, and appointed to the ‘Diplocat’ role.
- In addition to mousing duties, Lawrence keeps people informed about his work and the nation of Jordan through his Twitter account (@lawrencedipcat), which has 3,800 followers.
- According to Deputy Ambassador Laura Dauban the embassy hopes that Lawrence encourages people to visit the peaceful, prosperous country of Jordan.
- The appointment of a cat as Chief Mouser is a long-standing tradition in British ministries.
- Palmerston (Chief Mouser at UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office) has 57,000 Twitter followers. Which means there are two more cats that have bigger Twitter followings than The Short News…