- THIS IS NOT A TEST.
- A major butter shortage in France has led to supply issues in supermarkets, with serious concerns that it will affect the production of croissants!
- Since April 2016, the value of butter has risen from €2,500 per ton to €7,000 per ton.
- It’s believed that the shortage has been caused by an increase in demand for French butter (and in general, butter over margarine), and low milk production.
- According to French baking lobby group, the Federation des Entrepreneurs de la Boulangerie, this is a “major crisis” for France’s annual 8.5 billion baking industry.
- Agriculture minister Stéphane Travert says milk production is expected to pick up from December.
- In the meantime, naturally, some opportunists are taking to the internet to sell French butter at ridiculous prices.
- It’sbreported that Australia is also in the middle of a butter shortage!
- Quelle horreur!
Leave a Reply