- An agoraphobic grandmother who stepped outside her home for the third time in a decade injured herself when she fell straight into a manhole.
- As part of an attempt to rehabilitate herself, Janet Faal went out with a friend but fell when she moved a wooden pallet so that her friend could reverse her car.
- Janet suffered a suspected fractured leg and also broke her nose as her face banged the pallet.
- Janet says her progress has been set back years and she may never leave the safety of her home again.
- There is some dispute between local shops and residents as to how the manhole was permitted to remain in such a dangerous state.
- Agoraphobia is an anxiety disorder where the sufferer typically perceives environments as dangerous or uncomfortable, often due to the environment’s vast openness or crowdedness – and is commonly referred to as a fear of the outside.
- Wishing Janet a speedy recover and the strength the venture outside again soon!