CoCo Vandeweghe copped a code violation for eating a banana too slowly, while Denis Shapovalov couldn’t peel his bananas at the Australian Open yesterday.
Novak Djokovic prevailed over Stan Wawrinka in 5 sets, but not before delivering the infamous ‘Djokovic death stare’ to a linesman after a string of calls he perceived to be bad.
A ball boy at the Australian Open had to take a break from his duties on court after a 200km/h serve from Spaniard Feliciano Lopez slammed straight into his crotch!
Rafael Nadal is now using a ‘smart racquet’ made by Babolat, which contains sensors and records technical data on every ball struck while switched on.
• Australian, Nick Kyrgios says he doesn’t wear underwear on the tennis court, despite being named the new ambassador for Australian underwear label, Bonds.
• “Mad Dog” Marinko Matosevic lived up to his nickname after another meltdown, this time at the Cincinnati Masters, where he refused to shake the umpire’s hand, kicked at an on court camera, and reportedly spat and cursed.
• The incident occurred after Marinko thought he served the winning ace, only to have it ruled out.
• Novak Djokovic battled through 5 sets to defeat Roger Federer and claim his 2nd Wimbledon title and 7th Grand Slam title overall.
• After claiming victory in the ‘most special’ grand slam he’s played, Novak dropped to the ground for a ‘nice bite’ of the Wimbledon grass.
• World Number 144, Australian Nick Kyrgios defeated world number 1 Rafael Nadal in 4 sets and will now face Milos Raonic in a Wimbledon quarter final.
• Nick has become the first teenager to defeat a world number 1 at a grand slam since Nadal beat Roger Federer at the French Open in 2005.
• Australian Nick Kyrgios came back from 2 sets down and saved 9 match points to beat world #14 Richard Gasquet to progress to the 3rd round at Wimbledon.
• This is Nick’s first Wimbledon main draw debut after having earned a wildcard entry earlier this month.