Melbourne’s east was ‘rocked’ by a 3.4 magnitude earthquake yesterday, its largest in 50 years. No damage was recorded, but many claimed to have spilled their latte in what has been dubbed ‘The Great Latte Spill’.
A Melbourne woman was rescued after she fell into a sinkhole that opened up under her feet while she was hanging up washing in her backyard.
Kanye West bemoaned the lack of audience enthusiasm at his Melbourne show, stopping during ‘Good Life’ to say he couldn’t go on with people sitting “unless y’all sitting down because y’all handicapped”.
• Many residents in Melbourne’s south east state that they witnessed an object with flashing red, green and blue lights hovering above them for over an hour last night.
• Melbourne (tied with Auckland) has been voted world’s friendliest city in a recent study undertaken by Conde Nast Traveler magazine.
• Melbourne was praised for its abundance of nightlife, parks, “fabulous” public art and the wonderful humour of its people.
• Melbourne is expected to have its coldest day of the year so far with a continuation of yesterday’s wild weather.
• A cold front from the Grampians is expected to hit Melbourne around midday, bringing with it showers, hail and chilling winds.
• Melbourne’s ‘cheese stick’ could be shifted 80 metres north in a bid to save 55 homes.
• The cheese stick is a 70-metre yellow steel beam that welcomes traffic to Melbourne.
• A Melbourne taxi driver feared for his life when 2 passengers attacked him and then tried to run him down with his own taxi, before crashing into a pole.
• The attack occurred after the taxi driver dropped the couple off at their destination, but had no money to pay the fare.
• A Qantas flight was diverted one hour into its flight from LA to Melbourne after part of the cabin was flooded when a drinking water pipe burst.
• The plane was turned around by Qantas ‘in the interests of passenger comfort’.