- A man was caught trying to smuggle iPhones from Hong Kong into China after his ‘weird walking posture’ alerted port security to the 94 smartphones strapped to his body.
- The smuggler then set off the metal detector, which caused security to find his iPhone ‘suit of armour’.
- Photos of the smuggler have gone viral after users of China’s ‘Twitter-like’ Sina Weibo mocked his iPhone armour and dubbed him ‘Apple Man’. Some compared the smuggler to Iron Man!
- Although these iPhones have been on sale since October 2014, the price difference between China and Hong Kong keeps the smuggled phone business booming.
- It is estimated that the phones are worth approximately AUD$60,000.
- There are significant financial penalties for illegally exporting cargo from Hong Kong, as well as possible jail time.
Leave a Reply